Welcome to A Smart Girl's Guide to Entertainment

Hey all!

Welcome to my second attempt at blogging. This blog has been a long time coming - although I'm still somewhat new to professional blogging, so bear with me as the pieces come together!

This blog is the result of my first year post-grad school as I attempt to get my bearings in small-town Indiana. My M.A. is in Political Science, which means I spend way too much money on books and have plenty of free time to follow up my reading with tv shows and documentaries that complement the latest topic I've been obsessing over.

I would often find myself frustrated at the end of a Netflix binge - where could I go to find more information on topics that are relevant to our modern day lives? I loved Narcos, but I wasn't sure where to find more information on the history and modern-day reality of the war on drugs. Or I'd watch a life-altering documentary like The 13th and and be unsure of where to begin my research on modern day civil rights issues. I figured that other intelligent women might be in a similar situation- even if we want to educate ourselves on certain topics, it can be difficult to know where to begin with our research.

Let's briefly discuss Netflix as well, shall we? With so many new programs coming out every week it can be difficult to know what's worth our time and what isn't. I found myself referring to Time or Oprah magazine for reviews, but those entertainment profiles often focused on new arrivals or materials that weren't within my budget: I'd rather wait for a book to be available in my local library or on sale for $2 on Kindle before pursuing it, and I hardly want to dish out $10 for each new movie in theaters.

So this, ultimately, is my attempt to organize media into an approachable manner. I hope to publish a new review each week - whether it be a book, tv show, or even podcast - that I found has enriched my life and knowledge of relevant topics. Please feel free to pop in and find something interesting to occupy and enrich your free time. And please feel free to send can't-miss media my way as well- I'm always looking for a new topic to tackle :)

Wishing you lots of awesome reads,
Fiona  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

all about love - bell hooks